This past weekend was our much anticipated #loveLeesburg weekend in which we served our city through a major back to school outreach and several service projects. God did an amazing work! We are still in awe of all that He did to advance His Kingdom and what this will set the stage for Him to accomplish in the weeks and months to come.
We hosted our 3rd community block party for Heritage Square (low-incoming community) and The Fields (government subsidized housing). We set out with an ambitious goal of providing 100 elementary and/or middle school students with backpacks and school supplies for this upcoming school year. We were able to minister to and serve at least 67 families and provided backpacks and school supplies for 106 children and another 20 children received some measure of school supplies. No one went home empty handed! Additionally, we fed somewhere between 225-250 people that attended the block party that afternoon. The Gospel was shared that afternoon and God provided a spanish-speaking brother who was able to translate as I shared God’s good news of love and redemption. God is so good!
Serve Day – Sunday, August 23
Instead of gathering as the church for a worship service, we scattered as the church for service projects in our community. We sent out 30 people as part of 3 different teams hailing from 2 local churches on 1 mission: #loveLeesburg. One team went to the Heritage Hall nursing home to visit and pray for the residence. Another team headed to the Loudoun Abused Women Shelter (LAWS) offices for outdoor beautification of their facility by weeding, picking up trash, and planting flowers. Our third team headed back to Heritage Square to pick up trash, hang door hangers, and pray for the residence that were out and about. It was a great second day to our 2 days of loving and serving Leesburg!
4 other churches partnered with Rising Church and took on significant roles in making #loveLeesburg a huge success.
- Crossroads Baptist Church, Leesburg, VA – allowed us to use their campus and facilities to host the Back to School Block Party.
- First Baptist Church, Norfolk, VA – provided approximately half of the school supplies we gave away as well as 99 of the 106 backpacks we gave to students.
- Providence Baptist Church, McLean, VA – sent a team of 3 to help serve at the Back to School Block Party and provided us with the 2 massive inflatables that entertained kids of every age for 3 hours.
- Virginia Beach Beacon Baptist Church, Virginia Beach, VA – sent a team of 6 people that served with us of the full #loveLeesburg weekend. They provided several school supplies for the block party. Their team members also served on each of our 3 service projects on Sunday morning.
Additionally, friends of ours from another 6 local churches in Loudoun County came to volunteer for the Back to School Block Party on Saturday. All told, we had over 30 volunteers help us serve the 225-250 attendees. Thank you, as well, to the dozens of individuals who donated school supplies through our Amazon Wish List and through their local churches. It as amazing to see God’s Church unified to advance His Kingdom.
We are also humbled to have 2 local businesses sponsor the Back to School Block Party:
- Chick-fil-A of Leesburg, VA – provided 85 free Kids Meal cards and 20 free Frozen Lemonade cards that we put in the backpacks for the first 105 children that came through. They also donated 100 Chick-fil-A sandwiches that went a long way in helping us feed the masses.
- UPS Store of Leesburg, VA – provided us with all of our print needs leading up to the event: promotional flyers, registration forms, school supply checklists of the kids, and invitation cards to attend our church. They also gave us 100 UPS ball point pens to provide each of the kids.
As you can see, God did an amazing work through #loveLeesburg. I am still in awe of all that He did and continues to do in the life of Rising Church as we love and serve Leesburg, VA.