This week’s idea to help you go “Deep” in your Youth Ministry.
I know, this idea seems so basic and elementary, and it totally is. Scripture memorization is so simple, yet it seems like it is a fleeting discipline in most Christian circles, let alone Youth Ministries. Imagine what it would be like if you challenged your teens to memorize one verse a month.
- In a school year, your teens would be challenged to memorize 8-9 verses.
- In a calendar year, your teens would be challenged to memorize 12 verses.
- By the time your junior high teens passed into high school they could have 36 verses memorized (6th-8th grade).
- By the time a teenager completed 4 years of high school in your ministry they would have memorized 48 verses.
- Think of the teens that just graduated that have been in your group since 6th grade. They would have memorized 84 verses.
Will all of them memorize every verse? Maybe not. But if a few of them memorized all those verses or even if most of them memorized a several of them, you would have an army of teenagers that could recite one verse out of every book of the Bible. Depending on where you pulled your verses, you could have teens that could recite entire chapters, even books of the Bible! Think about it. How cool would it be if we restored the discipline of scripture memorization back into American Youth Minstries. It could be one step of a journey on the road to changing a generation.
How many verses of the Bible have you memorized? What’s the first one that comes to mind when asked to recite a verse you have memorized? I dare ya’ to share it!